Check in the Post
There is the story of the British tourist who, on his return home, sent his film to Kodak for processing. |
He was very taken aback to receive a letter of apology with the prints, regretting a suspected processing error which turned the pillar boxes green.
It reputedly took Kodak some time, and much forensic research, to conclude that the British postboxes were in Dublin and were, in fact, an appropriate shade of green.
There is no shortage of former British postboxes in Ireland and it is to the credit of the administration, or, perhaps in this case, to their sense of economy, that such colonial symbols were readily absorbed into the new State, albeit with a lick of green paint.
This Edwardian postbox is situated at the corner of Merrion Square, directly opposite the Irish Parliament.
There are even older boxes, such as this Victorian example on Killiney Hill Road in County Dublin. |
It's siting is wholly appropriate as what is now known as Killiney Hill was originally dedicated to Queen Victoria, in 1887, on the occasion of her 50th (Jubilee) year on the throne.
At that time she was Empress of all she surveyed.
The slide did not start until the next century and was led by the same country that perpetrated the greening of the pillarboxes.
This example of a George V postbox, at the junction of Charlemont Road and Howth Road in Clontarf, completes the hattrick and leaves us with a full set of pre-independence royal crested British postboxes.
Check out the British history and the Irish State.
Hover the cursor for dates